It was two years ago, at CES 2015, that NETGEAR introduced its innovative eight and sixteen port Click Switches (see our review). So, it’s only fitting that the company is introducing a new variant of the product at CES 2017 this week.
The new NETGEAR ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Ethernet Web Managed PoE+ Click Switch (GSS108EPP) offers the same ingenious mounting system as its predecessor. The mount can be screwed on top of, or under a desktop, or even tethered temporarily to a desk leg with a velcro strap. Once positioned, the switch – as you may have guessed – simply clicks into the mount and you’re done.
The new, fanless Click Switch is equipped with 4 Power over Ethernet (PoE+) ports (47W total) to enable connection of up to 4 PoE/PoE+ (802.3af and 802.3at) devices and 3 additional non-PoE devices (1 port for uplink). It’s a Web Managed (Plus) switch, so includes a range of features that can be managed via a web browser.
- Advanced per port PoE controls for remote power management of PoE connected devices
- Advanced VLAN support for traffic segmentation including port-based and 802.1Q-based
- Advanced QoS (Quality of Service) for traffic prioritization including port-based and 802.1p/DSCP-based
- Port Trunking/Link Aggregation (manual LAGs) for increased throughput (GS408EPP only)
- Auto “denial-of-service” (DoS) prevention
- IGMP snooping support for multicast optimization
- Rate limiting and priority queuing for better bandwidth allocation
- Port mirroring for network monitoring
- Energy Efficient Ethernet (IEEE 802.3az) for maximum power savings
It’s joined this week by a rackmounted PoE+ switch, the NETGEAR ProSAFE Easy-Mount 8-port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Web Managed Switch (GS408EPP), which offers the same web managed features as its desktop pal.
As hinted at in the product name, this switch also has an innovative design to support efficient mounting. Both the Ethernet ports and the power cable connection are on the same side of the switch, so two GS408EPP switches can fit back-to-back, for 16 PoE+ ports in a single 1U rack slot with a total PoE power budget of 124W per switch. More ports can be added as needed without wasting additional rack space. Neat.
Both switches are shipping this week, NETGEAR tells us. You’ll find the ProSAFE 8-port Gigabit Ethernet Web Managed PoE+ Click Switch (GSS108EPP) on sale for $149.99, while the ProSAFE Easy-Mount 8-port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Web Managed Switch (GS408EPP) will retail at $269.99.