|Manufacturer: Lenovo||Model: IdeaCentre D400 – 30131BU|
|Price: $499 to $599 (US) £???||Web: http://www.lenovo.com|
Lenovo enters the Windows Home Server market with an attractive machine, nice features, but with a “me too” attitude. A little on the pricey side, but it is nice to see more players in the WHS arena.
A couple of days ago, I showed off my new toy, the Lenovo D400 IdeaCentre. The D400 comes in one of those mini-computer packages made popular by Shuttle. I really like my Norco RPC-4220 behemoth, but there is lot to be said for these small form-factor machines. You can pack a lot of capacity in a very small space with easy expansion options through an eSATA port with Port Multiplier capability.
When I think of Lenovo, I think of the IBM/Lenovo alliance in the form of ThinkPad laptops. But Lenovo is a lot more than ThinkPads. Their mission statement:
Lenovo. New World, New Thinking.
Lenovo strives to be a new world company that makes award-winning PCs for our customers. We operate as a company uninhibited by walls or organizational structures using world sourcing to harness the power of innovation across our global team. We design innovative and exciting products and services to meet our customers’ needs.
Lenovo came about as the result of the merger of two of the most storied companies in technology and business: Legend Holdings in China and IBM’s Personal Computing Division in the United States. The merger was heralded as a watershed event in global business with the potential for integrating two disparate cultures, languages, processes and markets.
As a result, Lenovo embodies the unique market possibilities in combining the best of East and West — joining North American and China-based technology players in the creation of a unified global PC leader with growing market positions in developed and emerging markets alike. With more than $16 billion in annual revenue, Lenovo’s market strength spans not only market geographies but also the world’s consumer and business PC markets.
The D400 according to Lenovo:
Safe, secure and affordable
A tight budget shouldn’t mean skimping on technology, sacrificing security or forgoing convenience.
The D400 data storage system, or simple home server, offers a smart solution for secure, reliable data storage and sharing.
Convenient remote access
Prefer to leave confidential files safely at home or the office? Or maybe you run a small business and need secure, easy-to-use data storage system with remote access to data outside the office?
The D400 allows you to obtain data and files from your network anywhere and anytime you want. For added safety, you can copy data to two internal hard drives.
Solid back-up plan
You don’t need to be an IT expert to keep your data protected. The D400 is a simple home server, or digital storage device, with an auto-recovery system for the whole network. You can also back up all your home digital devices.
Built-in auto recover
The D400’s built-in flash drive allows easy recovery and prevents data lost in the event of a system problem.
And top quality server-level components ensure long-term reliability and use for added peace of mind.
Flexible data storage
The D400 is a compact system that’s smaller than a 9 inch cube yet has plenty of space for all your files, media and games.
- Stores up to four hard disks, totaling 8TB capacity
- Expandable storage capacity allows you to add extra mobile storage drives
- USB file transfers couldn’t be easier. With a simple press of a button you can copy USB drive contents to the internal hard drives.
- Hot swap hard disks. Just a mouse click and a single finger press. No need for tools or reboot.
Simple plug-and-play setup
A simple DHCP system allows you to link your home network.
Plug in power and internet cables, link to your network with a router or LAN and you’re ready to power up.
- Intel® Atom™ Processor 230 with single-core, Hyper-Threading technology, Intel 64 Technology, Execute Disable Bit, 533MHz system bus, and 512KB L2 cache
- Processor in Micro-FCBGA package in BGA437 socket
- 1GB std, 2GB max8, PC2-6400 800MHz DDR2, non-parity, one 240-pin DIMM socket
- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (GMA 950), integrated graphics in 945GC, uses main memory, no monitor ports, remote access via network
- 1TB or 2TB std, up to 8TB capacity, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200 rpm, Four hard disk bays, tool-less, support hot-swap (Need to first remove disk in software via Windows Home Server Console)
- Serial ATA, SATA 3.0Gb/s, integrated in ICH7
- Four SATA cables (each 1-drop to device), Four SATA connectors
- One external SATA (eSATA) port on rear
- Intel 945GC Express Chipset, I/O Controller Hub 7 [ICH7] (SATA 3.0Gb/s, ethernet MAC, PCI 2.3, USB, LPC bus)
- One USB 2.0 with USB copy button (Easy USB fi le transfer function)
- Four USB 2.0, one eSATA, ethernet (RJ-45)
- Gigabit ethernet on planar, Marvell® 88E8071
- 200 watts, universal, auto switch
- Security slot (in rear for optional Kensington® Microsaver® cable)